First of all, a huge thank you to all that showered us with gifts! Your generosity and love is overwhelming!
And now for a progress report...
I was awakened yesterday morning to a strange sensation. My stomach was completely unsettled and has been getting progressively worse over the last 3 weeks or so. I chopped it up to the fact that Mason has dropped into my pelvic cavity and is putting pressure on my internal organs. At first I thought yesterday's occurrence was "normal", until I got half way through my Cheerios and felt nauseous. I stopped eating and tried to concentrate on not tossing my O's, when it dawned on me I might be having contractions. I knew it was a little early for the Big Day, so I calmly took a shower to try and relax and see if they would go away on their own. Many a woman and Dr. has said that I would be experiencing "practice contractions", and have had my share in the past, but none that were painful or resulted in nausea.
So, I rang up the Labor & Delivery(L&D) advice nurse, and after a series of questions and a contraction over the phone, she requested that I come down to the L&D unit ASAP! The Mr. was just about to leave for work when I told him we had to go. So we scrambled a little to gather our things, just in case this was the Big Day and headed out. I had a feeling they would send me home as my water hasn't broken (that's why we didn't ring you parents, so don't be angry).
We arrived, were attached to monitors and observed for a couple of hours. It was evident that I was having pretty strong contractions, but none that were really progressing my cervical status & they weren't close enough together to warrant any immediate concern. The Midwife checked my cervix and it was still closed up tight, but was showing signs of progress and has begun to thin out quite a bit. We were told to go home, rest up, and take it easy as the Big Day could be here before you know it.
Well, I also had my regularly scheduled exam with Dr. Sarah that afternoon for a quick Ultrasound(U/S), and one last test to confirm no infection is present come birth time. We talked about our adventure that morning & she would be surprised if we make it through January without a baby bundle. She assured us that if he is born sooner rather than later, she was confident he would be a healthy boy(because my due date is a little on late side - haha I'm right!) The U/S confirmed that he is head down and facing back, primed and ready for a speedy birth.
So now we just wait & overcome the discomforts of "pre-labor". I'll try to keep you all updated as things progress.
Oh, and a special note to parents: We promise that we'll call as soon as we know they're going to keep us. No sense in you all making long drives for false alarms like yesterday. We love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment